Sustainable Packaging a ‘Long-Term Trend’ in Foodservice Industry
Sustainable packaging remains a long-term overall trend in the foodservice packaging industry, with an increasing focus on compostable packaging, according to the Foodservice Packaging Institute’s 2015 Trends Report.
The report, which surveyed companies from the entire foodservice packaging value chain — from raw material suppliers, packaging manufacturers, distributors and operators — found industry opinions largely focused on environmentally friendly packaging and customization techniques to differentiate products.
Compostable packaging was mentioned in an overwhelming number of responses, the Institute says. Other trends include the shift to a more natural look through the use of “Kraft” paper over bleached paper to promote the belief that “brown is the new green.” Conversely, another trend of note includes an increase in graphics and color as operators recognize the opportunity to promote their brand on packaging.
So-called “green” packaging is apparent in raw materials, as different resins and papers are trending based on both the real and perceived environmental advantages of those materials.
In the machinery used to manufacture foodservice packaging, the desire for highly automated machines that run faster, more efficiently and at lower costs continues — but with little innovation in the industry.
A study commissioned by the Foodservice Packaging Institute last year found that contrary to popular perceptions, foodservice packaging has widespread acceptance by material recovery facilities, according to a new study.
Energy Manager News
- Driving Energy Efficiency by Improving the Owner/Tenant Relationship
- Case Study: Fast Payback in New York City
- $8M Project to Upgrade Chillicothe (OH) Correctional Institute
- Three Trends Align to Save Buildings Millions in Energy Costs
- Law Bars Energy Providers from Charging Early Termination Fees in the Event of Death
- Corporations Spend Big on Ballot Initiatives, Crushing Ratepayer Opposition
- Texas Retailer Offers Instant Rebate for Rooftop Solar, Offers High Credits for Excess Solar
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency