10 Intelligent Building Trends to Watch in 2016
In 2016 and beyond, building owners and key decision makers will invest in an array of smart building solutions that embody the technology foundation of Internet of Things (IoT) and cloud computing, according to a new white paper from Navigant Research. The whitepaper lists the following 10 trends that reflect the evolving facilities industry and the push for more intelligent buildings:
- Building energy management systems (BEMSs) will deliver benefits beyond energy efficiency.
- The energy cloud will redefine buildings as energy assets.
- Climate change policy will mandate efficiency in buildings.
- Intelligent buildings will optimize the occupant experience.
- Innovative financing opportunities will disrupt the market.
- Cyber security will be a key differentiator between intelligent building solutions.
- Hardware and software analytics will improve health in buildings.
- Intelligent building water management will emerge as a priority for innovators.
- Smart cities will drive the development of intelligent buildings.
- Electric utilities and energy providers will ramp investment in BEMSs.
The adoption of intelligent building solutions is in response to a confluence of changes in the facilities industry, including changing expectations of tenants and employees and an aging building management workforce.
Intelligent buildings represent a number of benefits for building owners:
- Cost savings from operational improvements and energy efficiency to building owners.
- Maximized occupancy and asset valuation for commercial real estate.
- Improved power reliability and resiliency to meet energy provider goals and mandates.
- Optimized comfort and performance for sustainability and occupant satisfaction.
Photo credit: binary city via Shutterstock
Energy Manager News
- Duke Energy SC Customers Have Reaped $5M in Solar Rebates Since Last October
- BidEnergy Launches Its ‘Source-to-Pay’ Process for Energy in U.S. Market
- Garden State Residential, Commercial Customers Will Pay Less for Gas This Winter
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger