C&A Floorcoverings, a Tandus company, is meeting the goals of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 by replacing diesel used in its commercial boilers with 100 percent biodiesel, a renewable energy source manufactured by Soymet.
C&A said it is the first and only carpet manufacturer to date to use biodiesel as an energy source and, since it began using biodiesel in February 2006, 11 percent of its total energy is from renewable sources.
“For four decades, we’ve been a leader in environmental innovation,” said Lee Schilling, Senior Vice President, Tandus. “Tandus Technologies, our research and development group, has been evaluating alternative and renewable energy sources for a number of years. Using biodiesel in our own facilities creates a meaningful environmental impact.”
By recycling waste vegetable cooking oils and grease from local restaurants, C&A has reduced:
- Carbon dioxide emissions (CO2) by 78 percent,
- Particulate emissions by 48 percent,
- Air toxics by 60-90 percent,
- Hydrocarbon emissions by 67 percent,
- Sulfate emissions by 100 percent, and
- Polycyclic aromatics (PACs), resulting in significant reductions in carcinogens.