ProLogis, owner, manager and developer of distribution facilities, has released its first sustainability report. The company says it’s the first U.S. real estate company to issue a sustainability report under GRI standards. The report will be updated annually and made available as a companion document to the company’s annual report to shareholders.
The new report sets out environmental performance targets for the company over the next four years. The targets include:
- Utilization of 20 percent recycled construction materials, based on cost, at all new distribution centers by 2010;
- Diversion of 75 percent of construction debris from disposal in landfills or incinerators by 2010;
- A 50 percent reduction in the use of potable water in landscape irrigation at all new developments by 2010;
- Installation of renewable energy sources with combined generation capacity of more than 25 million KWh per year by 2010;
- Achievement of “carbon neutral” business operations in the U.S. between 2006 and 2010 through a combination of organic reductions and offset procurement.