Imagine and Twentieth Century Fox Television say they will make the TV series 24 the first production ever to save enough energy and reduce enough carbon emissions over the course of a season to render its entire season finale carbon neutral.
Beginning with production on Season 7, 24 intends to:
- Use biodiesel fuels to power generators and production vehicles.
- Purchase all of its energy from renewable power sources.
- Rewire the building where the show is taped so that no diesel generators will be needed this season.
- Incorporate as many lower-emission vehicles as possible into departments that require considerable road travel.
- Incorporate the issue of global warming and the importance of carbon emission reduction into storylines.
- Create a series of PSAs about the issue starring Kiefer Sutherland and key cast members.
There’s no word yet on how advertisers might get involved.
NBC Universal recently launched “Get On Board,” a program to reduce greenhouse gases and raise awareness.
Here are some other green moves by studios.