Here are some green tips from InfoWorld to consider before your next system refresh.
1. Higher-end systems with more powerful components tend to draw more energy. Take a long look at the operating system necessary and the size monitor that’s needed. If possible, think about replacing desktops with laptops: fewer parts to build; fewer resources to package and ship; fewer dollars spent on power.
2. Energy Star 4.0 systems have an 80-percent efficient power supply and make the most of low-power modes.
3. But it’s not just about energy. Keep other green criteria in mind. EPEAT breaks green down into several categories including reduction/elimination of environmentally sensitive materials, material selection, product longevity/life cycle extension, design for end of life, energy conservation, end of life management, corporate performance, and packaging.
4. Study your needs. Would adding additional memory or a new graphics card meet them.
5. Consider refurbished. Pre-owned machines are available at a fraction of the cost of new machines and save resources.