Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson opened the event.
“Leadership from the business community is essential to our success in protecting human health and the environment,” Jackson said, adding that “the environmentally sound thing to do is also the economically sound thing to do.”
After Jackson’s speech, Ceres President Mindy Lubber moderated a panel discussion featuring members of BICEP’s five founding companies:
- Michel Harrison, co-president, Timberland;
- Sarah Severn, director of horizons, corporate responsibility, Nike;
- Dave Douglas, senior vice president of cloud computing and chief sustainability officer, Sun Microsystems;
- Jim Hanna, director of environmental impact, Starbucks Coffee Company;
- Hilary Krane, senior vice president of corporate affairs, Levi Strauss.
A streaming audio recording of the discussion is available here.