The NASDAQ has joined the trend of tracking companies by their sustainability efforts. The NASDAQ OMX CRD Global Sustainability 50 Index tracks companies on the “leading edge of self-reporting sustainability activities,” said NASDAQ OMX Executive Vice President John Jacobs.
According to a press release, the index tracks a company’s efforts to:
- produce a publicly available corporate sustainability/responsibility report;
- disclose compatible sustainability data according to (GRI) G2/G3 guidelines;
- report at least 20 percent of total core environmental performance indicators;
- report at least 20 percent of the total core social performance indicators; and
- report at least 70 percent of the total financial performance indicators.
Earlier this year, the Standard & Poor’s launched the S&P U.S. Carbon Efficient Index, which measures the performance of large cap U.S. companies with relatively low carbon emissions, while closely tracking the return of the S&P 500. The index is part of the S&P’s global thematic index series, which covers green themes including water, forestry, ecology and carbon efficiency.