BuildingGreen, publisher of the GreenSpec Directory and Environmental Building News (EBN), released the winners of its ninth annual Top-10 Green Building Products. The list recognizes the top green products based on recent additions to GreenSpec, coverage in EBN, and BuildingGreen blogs. This year’s products range from VOC-free composite decking and office furnishings to LED modules and halogen-free cabling.
Here’s the top 10 list.
1. NyloDeck’s American-made Nyloboard composite decking is manufactured from pre-consumer recycled carpet fiber and water-blown, VOC-free, polyurethane binder.
2. The Foamglas cellular glass insulation from Pittsburgh Corning is 100-percent glass –silica sand (60 percent), limestone (20 percent), soda (15 percent), and trace minerals (5 percent). Production is free of harmful blowing agents.
3. Ornilux Bird-Safe Glazing from Arnold Glas is a specialty glazing with a pattern that reflects UV light, and is more visible to birds than to humans.
4. Knoll’s FSC Furniture is a full line of commercial office furnishings, including casegoods, office systems, and tables. All of the company’s standard wood furniture lines are certified according to Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) standards.
5. Bensonwood OBPlus Wall System and advanced panelized construction system tout excellent energy performance and durability. It’s also made from environmentally responsible materials.
6. The ultra-high-efficiency Niagara Stealth Toilet from Niagara Conservation uses very little water and is exceptionally quiet.
7. Wilo ECM “Smart” Pumps (both commercial Stratos and residential Stratos ECO versions) use integral variable-frequency drives (VFD) and electronically commutated motors (ECMs) to reduce circulation energy by more than 70 percent.
8. Halton Heat Recovery Unit (HRU) for Commercial Kitchens, distributed worldwide by Halton Group, is a pre-packaged exhaust and make-up air unit that incorporates energy recovery.
9. The Xicato Spot Module (XSM) is an LED module that is coupled with a separate heat sink, reflector, and remote driver.
10. The modular Electec No-Smoke, Zero-Halogen EZ-Wiring and EZ-Cabling Systems contain no halogens (bromine, chlorine, or fluorine) and no heavy metals. They are compliant with the European Union’s Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) and Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) directives.