GHGs and other emissions
- Down 25 percent since 2004 – versus a goal of 15 percent set for 2015
- As of last year, over $6.7 billion in revenue generated from products that reduce GHGs ($2 billion in 2012 alone).
- The DuPont-Fayetteville Works in North Carolina has cut 1.6 million pounds of CO2 gallons by capturing steam condensate.
- Reduced air carcinogen emissions by 65.6 percent since 2004, beating a goal of 50 percent by 2015.
- Non-renewable energy intensity down 1.2 percent since 2010, per $/adjusted revenue
- Company targeting a 3 percent cut by 2015, 10 percent by 2020
- 91 percent of DuPont’s off-site fleet of cars and light trucks use “leading technologies” for fuel efficiency and fossil fuel alternatives. The company is aiming for 100 percent by 2015.
- A team at the DuPont Chemicals & Fluoroproducts business in LaPorte, Texas, turned off refrigeration equipment that was not needed, updated cleaning schedules, and performed other equipment optimization to find energy savings of 32 percent in the first year alone, far surpassing the initial 4 percent goal.
- Global absolute water consumption is down 12 percent since 2004. The company is aiming to keep absolute water consumption flat to 2015 (in non-water-scarce or stressed areas.)
- Water consumption in scarce and stressed areas down 21 percent since 2004. DuPont aims to reduce water consumption by 30 percent in these areas by 2015.
- The DuPont-Fayetteville Works recycles 12 million gallons of water a year by capturing steam condensate.
- DuPont did not report waste data in its Sustainability Progress Report, though some can be found in its GRI report.
- Global hazardous waste output in 2012 was 765.3 million pounds, down from 893.5 million in 2011 and 1.112 billion in 2004.
- The company does not aggregate non-hazardous waste data to the corporate level.
Takeaway: DuPont has achieved most of its 2015 sustainability goals early. The Sustainability Progress Report clearly states progress against the key metrics, although it gives few details about how these goals were achieved. More information can be found in DuPont’s separate GRI Report and in other related documents.