The EPA has launched online training for its free AVoided Emissions and geneRation (AVERT) Tool, which estimates the emissions benefits of energy efficiency and renewable energy policies and programs.
The free training walks users through each step of the AVERT Main Module with how-to videos and can be accessed on demand.
Businesses and other organizations interested in knowing the emissions benefits of energy efficiency and renewable energy policies and programs can use AVERT to:
- Quantify the nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide and carbon dioxide emissions benefits of state and multi-state EE/RE policies and programs.
- Examine the regional, state, and county level emissions impacts of different EE/RE programs based on temporal energy savings and hourly generation profiles.
- Include AVERT-calculated emissions impacts of EE/RE policies and programs in air quality modeling and Clean Air Act plans used to meet the National Ambient Air Quality Standards.
- Compare the emissions impacts of different types of EE/RE programs, such as the emissions impacts of wind installations versus solar installations.
- Understand the emissions impacts of different EE/RE policies and programs during high electricity demand days.
- Analyze the emissions benefits of EE/RE programs implemented in multiple states within an AVERT region.
- Share information about location-specific emissions benefits in tables and maps.
Last year the World Resources Institute has updated its online tool that can help businesses manage and benchmark their greenhouse gas emissions. The latest version of WRI’s Climate Analysis Indicators Tool, CAIT 2.0, has improved functionality and other upgrades, WRI says.