Independent third-party testing by Zalco Laboratories has confirmed that OriginOil’s Prime product for oil and gas operations successfully reduced contaminants in produced water to the level required for reuse for cyclic steam stimulation, a type of enhanced oil recovery.
Using data collected during a month of operation and sales demonstrations hosted by Vaquero Energy, an exploration and production company based in Bakersfield, California, Zalco’s lab results confirmed that Prime reduced all measures of non-soluble contamination to very low, or undetectable levels.
OriginOil’s Prime integrates OriginOil’s Electro Water Separation (EWS) — a high-speed, primarily chemical-free process to clean up large quantities of water — with a self-cleaning filter for heavy solids removal on the front end, as well as a polishing system on the back end.
Zalco Laboratory confirmed Prime’s ability to achieve the following results:
- Turbidity reduced by 99.96 percent
- Total suspended solids reduced by 97 percent
- Total recoverable petroleum hydrocarbons reduced by 97 percent
- Biological oxygen demand reduced by 71 percent
- Chemical oxygen demand reduced by 92 percent
- Diesel range organics reduced by 99.3 percent
- Gasoline range organics reduced by 86 percent
- Motor oil range organics reduced by 99.5 percent
The global produced water treatment systems market is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 6.1 percent between 2014 and 2020, according to a Future Market Insights report published earlier this week.