Microsoft, selected in part for its environmental and climate change performance, is the best corporate citizen in the US, according to Corporate Responsibility Magazine’s annual 100 Best Corporate Citizens List.
The tech giant pushed Bristol-Myers Squibb from its No. 1 ranking last year down to sixth place in the 2015 list.
The top 10 on the 2015 list are (in rank order): Microsoft, Hasbro, Johnson & Johnson, Xerox, Sigma-Aldrich, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Intel, Campbell Soup, Ecolab and Lockheed Martin.
Also this year:
- 35 companies rose an average of 19 ranks
- 45 companies fell an average of 17 ranks
- 18 companies new to the list
- The average rank increase for the Top 100 was 25
- The average rank increase for the Top 10 was 9
In a report published last week Microsoft said its internal carbon fee has reduced the company’s emissions by 7.5 million metric tons of CO2e, since it was established three years ago, and saved more than $10 million per year.